The Federal Government has begun moves to prevent an industrial action in the country’s public universities as the Academic Staff Union of Universities’ three-week deadline ended on Sunday. The Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba stated this in an interview on Sunday. He revealed that the ministry had written a letter to the Ministry of Finance on the payment of allowances to staff of universities. It was gathered that Labour and Employment Minister Chris Ngige will today review the implementation of the Memorandum of Action (MoA) signed by the Federal Government and the ASUU. ASUU had on November 15 given the Federal Government a three-week ultimatum over government failure to meet its demands.
The Kaduna State Universal Basic Education Board (KADSUBEB) has on Thursday disclosed that it is dismissing 233 teachers in public schools across the State for presenting fake certificates. Also, the affected persons will be prosecuted. The Chairman of the Board, Tijjani Abdullahi made the disclosure during a press conference in Kaduna, saying the board is determined to ensure that only qualified teachers are allowed to teach in Kaduna. In a statement Abdullahi explained that the board carried out a certificate verification exercise in April, and 233 out the 451 verified were fake certificates, making it 51% of the presented certificates.
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has announced on Monday in Abuja that the union is bracing up for another round of industrial action following 'government’s failure on implementing the Memorandum of Action (MoU) agreed to earlier in the year. According to the ASUU PresidentProfessor Emmanuel Osodeke, all the issues, including those of unpaid academic earned allowances and the universities revitalisation fund have not been addressed almost one year after an agreement was reached.
The Federal Government says it has released N6 billion to enhance teaching, periodic curriculum review and development in six colleges of education across the country. The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, stated this on Saturday at the 6th – 35th combined convocation ceremony of the Federal College of Education (Technical), Gombe. Mr Adamu, represented by Paulina Okwelle, Executive Secretary, National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE), said the funds were provided to the schools through the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND).
The National Examination Council (NECO) on Friday announced the release of the results of the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) conducted nationwide in July. NECO Registrar and Chief Executive Officer, Prof. Dantali Wushishi, disclosed this while addressing newsmen in Minna. He said that out of 1,233,631 candidates who registered; 1,226,631 actually sat for the examination. Wushishi explained that 945,853 candidates obtained five credits and above including English Language and Mathematics, while 1,094,291candidates also obtained five credits and above irrespective of English Language and Mathematics. He said that number of candidates who made five credits and above including English and Mathematics was 878,925 representing 71.64 per cent, when compared with 2020 SSCE internal figures of 894,101, which was a 73.89 per cent, with 2.2 per cent decrease.