Nigeria midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo took a break from his World Cup preparations to join English Championship club, Stoke, on Monday. Etebo will be a member of the Nigeria squad when the World Cup gets underway in Russia on Thursday. The 22-year-old is free to concentrate on his international commitments after leaving Portuguese side Feirense in a £6.35 million ($8.5 million) switch to second-tier Stoke.
Andres Iniesta has completed a move to Vissel Kobe just days after leaving Barcelona, the Japanese side announced. The Spain playmaker left the Spanish champions at the end of last week after more than 20 years at the club. According to ESPN, Iniesta, 34, moves for an undisclosed fee and has signed a contract that a club press release says will keep him at the club for "multiple years."
Super Eagles defender Leon Balogun completed a move to Premier League outift Brighton & Hove Albion from Bundesliga side FSV Mainz on Tuesday, May 22. Balogun is the first signing for the Seagulls in the summer transfer window, and leaves German after nine years in the Bundesliga. The 29-year-old joins on a free transfer and has signed a two-year- deal at the Falmer Stadium.
Everton have appointed Marco Silva as their new manager, the Premier League club announced on their official website on Thursday. Silva, who was fired by Watford mid last season, replaces Sam Allardyce. “Marco Silva has revealed his pride at being appointed Everton manager and his resolve to build a winning side with a winning style and a deep connection between the team and Evertonians,” Everton stated.
Former Real Madrid and Chelsea coach, Carlo Ancelotti would take over from Maurizio Sarri as coach of Napoli, on a three-year deal, the Italian club confirmed on Wednesday. Ancelotti, sacked by Bayern Munich last September, steps in after Sarri was pushed out of the San Paolo Stadium after finishing second in Serie A behind Juventus.
Spain coach Julen Lopetegui has extended his contract until 2020 in a pre-World Cup boost for one of the tournament favourites. "We are going to sign a contract for two additional years," said the president of the Spanish football federation (RFEF), Luis Rubiales. It is a clear sign of confidence from the Spanish federation in the 51-year-old former goalkeeper as he goes into his first major tournament in charge of the side.