President Muhammadu Buhari has re-appointed the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Mahmood Yakubu, for a second term in office. President Buhari, in a letter sent to President of the Senate, Ahmad Ibrahim Lawan on Tuesday, said his decision was in tandem with the provision of Section 154 (1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended). Yakubu's reappointment is, however, subject to a Senate confirmation. The spokesperson to Mr. President, Femi Adesina made the announcement public on Tuesday.
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the re-appointment of Prof. Mahmud Yakubu as Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) after his first tenure elapsed. Prof. Yakubu who his tenure was expected to elapse on November 9th, 2020 came on board for the first time in 2015. He has earned another five years to serve at the electoral empire boss.
The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, has said that she has forgiven the accusers that doubted her over COVID-19 palliative distribution.
In the last three months, Nigerian health officials had not reported a daily figure higher than 300 infections. Nigeria has recorded a total infection so far as 62,000 out of which 57,000 persons have recovered from the deadly virus. This means that about 3,000 cases are still active in the country.
The Federal government on Monday cautioned that cases of COVID-19 will definitely increase in the coming weeks owing to the ongoing #EndSARS protests across the country. The Chairman, Presidential Taskforce, PTF, on COVID-19 and Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, Mr Boss Mustapha, while issuing the warning in Abuja, said despite the appreciable success recorded so far in the fight against COVID-19, the ongoing protest may spark up a second wave of the virus.
“I can say it authoritatively that with the ongoing protest across the country, in the next two weeks the cases of COVID-19 would have increased. Each and everyone that attended the protest and did not put up any form of protection are likely going to spread the virus. When people contract the virus during the protest gathering, they will go back home and spread it.
About 113 new cases of COVID-19 has been confirmed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Saturday. The NCDC via its Twitter handle revealed that a total of 14 States recorded new infections in the country in the last 24 hours. The health agency said, the 113 new cases brought the nation’s confirmed COVID-19 infection cases to a total of 61,307. It also mentioned that four persons died from complications resulting from the virus.
The Federal Government announced that it has commenced the payment of N30,000 one-time grants to 333,000 artisans nationwide as part of the Economic Sustainability Plan (ESP). This was disclosed by the Senior Special Assistant to the Vice President, Mr Laolu Akande, who also said only verified benefactors of the Artisan Support Scheme are viable to access the grant. The Artisan Support Scheme is meant to benefit 9,000 Nigerians per State and the FCT.
Access Bank Plc announced today that they would begin the disbursement of the N50 billion interest-free loan the bank set aside for micro, small and medium-size enterprises (MSMEs).
The Federal Government has disclosed that it will kick start disbursement of the N75 billion support grants to Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises that are eligible to partake in the COVID-19 support scheme. Accordingly, on September 10, the Federal Government inaugurated two schemes to support about 1.7 million Medium and Small Scale Enterprise (MSMEs) financially across the country with N75billion naira.
A Nigerian Technology development company, E.F. Network Ltd announced that it has developed a mobile application that will make a stolen mobile device unusable by thieves, which will help to deter theft or resale of mobile phones in the country. The announcement was disclosed by the company’s Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ameh Ochojila on Tuesday in Abuja. He disclosed that the application “ephonetaxi” will lock out anyone without proper authorization, thus making the mobile phone unusable and unsellable. Ochojila said,” Ephonetaxi helps to retrieve and send the user’s stored contents to his email.
The controversial yet legendary business titan who marshaled Samsung's rise from a modest South korean company to a multinational conglomerate died on Sunday at the age of 78. Following the death of Lee Kun-hee, Samsung's group chairman, speculation continue to mount that tech giant could be shaken up. Samsung in a statement confirming his death called him a "true visionary who transformed Samsung into the world-leading innovator and industrial powerhouse". "All of us at Samsung will cherish his memory and are grateful for the Journey we shared with him." the company said. Lee had been comatose since suffering a heart attack in 2014 but remained titular chairman of the company. Late Mr. Lee took over Samsung in 1987, and introduced radical measures which helped propel the company from a second-tier electronics manufacturer to an international tech giant and South Korea's biggest conglomerate.
Barcelona F.C president Josep Maria Bartomeu and his entire board of directors has resigned after a torrid six (6) year under increasing pressure and picking up dustup out with Lionel Messi. The erstwhile was due to step down in March, having served the maximum two terms as president, but was facing a vote of no confidence. More than 20,000 club members signed a motion to remove him.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino has tested positive for COVID-19, having reportedly experiencing mild symptoms and it is said that he will quarantine for at least 10 days. The world governing football body made this disclosure on Tuesday and has advised all those who have come into close contact with the 50 years old to self-isolate.
Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard kicks when his side was denied a penalty kick after Man-U defender, Henry Maguire pulled down Cesar Azpilicueta during a corner kick in Saturday’s match that ended in a draw.
Hollywood legend Arnold Schwarzenegger yesterday said he was feeling fantastic after undergoing a heart surgery over the weekend.
The second runner-up in the just concluded Big Brother Naija show (lockdown Edition), Rebecca Hampson, popularly referred to as Nengi, has disclosed why she did not sleep with any man during the reality show. The former Diva queen who is a native of Bayelsa state while speaking with media personality, Hero Daniel, said she deliberately decided not to share her bed with any man right from the beginning of the competition.
Crucifix revealed that his inspiration to write and produce music comes from a variety of sources like personal experience and social happenings around him. The star singer, Oscar Chibuike is also known as Crucifix said African women are the biggest influence of his music content.
A UN envoy on Friday announced that the two Libyan delegations to the Libyan 5+5 Joint Military Commission talks have signed a complete countrywide and permanent ceasefire agreement with immediate effect. Stephanie Williams, acting special representative of the UN Secretary-General to Libya and head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), made the announcement in a press conference.
A landslide on Sunday which hit Vietnam's central province of Quang Tri has killed 11 soldiers while 11 others remain missing even as frantic search is under way. The landslide hit the barracks of a unit of Vietnam’s 4th Military Region, the government said in a statement on its website, days after another landslide killed 13 people, mostly soldiers, in the neighbouring province of Thua Thien Hue. “We had another sleepless night,” a visibly emotional Phan Van Giang, Vietnam’s deputy defence minister, told reporters on Sunday. Heavy rain has pounded the region for more than a week even as the country battles its worst flooding in years. At least 64 people have been killed in floods and landslides, according to Vietnam’s disaster management authority, with concerns mounting that waters could rise further. Rocks rained down on the barracks of a military station in Quang Tri province, with 22 soldiers believed to have been buried underneath thick mud, an official government website said.
The Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS) has lifted the punitive sanctions imposed on Mali following a coup by the Military which overthrew the civilian leadership of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita in August. In a statement by the Chairman of ECOWAS and President of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo on Tuesday disclosed that the West African leaders have decided lift the sanctions after Mali announced a 25-member Transition Government which will lead the country to elections as well as the appointment of former Foreign Minister Moctar Ouane as Prime Minister. ECOWAS had earlier said it was only going to lift the sanctions after a PM was appointed in efforts of returning to civilian rule.