Nigeria on Monday recorded 1,204 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, the highest number of new infections recorded in a day, totalling it to 91,351 cases, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said. According to NCDC, the new cases were recorded in 20 States and the FCT, with Lagos remaining the epicentre of the pandemic with 654 cases, while FCT had 200. Other States include Plateau-60, Kaduna-54, Kano-40, Rivers-30, Edo-28, Nasarawa-25, Kebbi-19, Bauchi-18, Oyo-13, Akwa Ibom-12, Bayelsa-11, Ogun-11, Delta-9, Abia-8, Benue-5, Imo-three, Borno-2, and Sokoto and Osun with 1 case each.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has launched a mobile application, “WHO COVID-19 Updates” which offers “trusted info from both the experts at the WHO and regional partners, with regular updates and notifications as scientific findings progress." According to the health body, the app will enlighten users on both mild and serious symptoms of COVID-19, and also educate them on how to protect themselves, as well as avoiding myths, and misinformation. The app which was initially released in April 2020 but was removed from public space, is currently only available on Google Play Store in Nigeria. However, the older version is similar to the latest stable version.
The Federal government on Monday cautioned that cases of COVID-19 will definitely increase in the coming weeks owing to the ongoing #EndSARS protests across the country. The Chairman, Presidential Taskforce, PTF, on COVID-19 and Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, Mr Boss Mustapha, while issuing the warning in Abuja, said despite the appreciable success recorded so far in the fight against COVID-19, the ongoing protest may spark up a second wave of the virus.
“I can say it authoritatively that with the ongoing protest across the country, in the next two weeks the cases of COVID-19 would have increased. Each and everyone that attended the protest and did not put up any form of protection are likely going to spread the virus. When people contract the virus during the protest gathering, they will go back home and spread it.
The Federal Government of Nigeria on Monday approved new restrictions in a bid to mitigate the spread of a second wave of COVID-19 in the country. The chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, announced the new restrictions during a press briefing of the task force in Abuja, wherein he ordered the closure of all restaurants, night clubs, event centres, and bars in all the states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). The number of guests at weddings and conference has also been cut down to 59 as new strain of coronavirus hits the nation. Services like home deliveries by restaurants, services to hotel residents, takeaways and drive-ins may operate.
Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello has tested positive for the dreaded COVID-19. Governor Bello made this known in a tweet on Monday, November, 9, 2020, revealing that he is asymptomatic and is in isolation. On his twitter handle he wrote: “I have tested positive to #COVID19. However, I am asymptomatic and have gone into isolation,” the governor posted.
About 113 new cases of COVID-19 has been confirmed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Saturday. The NCDC via its Twitter handle revealed that a total of 14 States recorded new infections in the country in the last 24 hours. The health agency said, the 113 new cases brought the nation’s confirmed COVID-19 infection cases to a total of 61,307. It also mentioned that four persons died from complications resulting from the virus.