The Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed twenty new cases of coronavirus in the country raising the toll of the infected persons to 210.
The NCDC also disclosed it has recorded two new deaths in Lagos and Edo states of the country bringing the death incidence to four persons.
On the Agency twitter account, The statement reads;
“Twenty new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria; 11 in Lagos, 3 in the FCT, 3 in Edo, 2 in Osun & 1 in Ondo.
Two new deaths have been recorded in Lagos and Edo State As at 10:30 pm 3rd April there are 210 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria, and 25 persons so far have been discharged”
Meanwhile, in South Africa on Friday 3rd April 2020 the authorities announced two more coronavirus deaths and 43 new confirmed cases, bringing the toll in Africa’s worst-affected country up to 1,505 infections and seven hundred deaths.
The Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, who disclosed the latest figures, said the figure was likely to be underestimated due to their limited capacity in handling the testing.
In her statement, while addressing newsmen in a press conference in Cape Town;
“I want to raise the point that this number is affected by… the limitations of the active testing that we are doing,”
“When we extend the testing… we actually expect these numbers to increase.”
The South African Government has launched a mass door-to-door screening to fish out coronavirus infected persons this week; deploying about 10,000 workers to achieve this and ensure all citizens of the country are being tested for the virus.
The exercise will target the slums and overcrowded Areas of the country to take advantage as citizens are under lockdown for 21 days imposed by the government to arrest the spread of the disease.
The Minister said it was too early to conclude whether the lockdown deployed by the government will yield the desired result.
As at yesterday, the dreaded virus so far has infected over 7,000 persons in South Africa and has consumed about 300 people.