Over 90% PVCs Collection Achieved In Bayelsa And Kogi– INEC

Top News
Typography

The chairman Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu has on Wednesday held a quarterly meeting with media and Civil Society Organisations in Abuja. During the parley, the chairman informed that, 889,308 (96.3%) Permanent Voters Cards in Bayelsa State and 1,485,828 (90.2%) in Kogi have been collected as at September 30.

Mr. Yakubu stated that, the figures will be made available at the commission’s stakeholders’ meetings in Yenagoa and Lokoja and also uploaded on the commission’s website, as part of its effort to ensure transparency and accountability.

 

”For the governorship election, Bayelsa State has 8 Local Government Areas (LGAs), 105 Registration Areas (RAs), 1,804 Polling Units (PUs) and 923,182 registered voters of which 498,790 (54.3%) are male while 424,392 (45.97%) are female.

 

”The number of PVCs collected across the State as at 30th September 2019 is 889,308 (96.3%) with 33,874 (3.7%) uncollected. Kogi State, on the other hand, has 21 LGAs, 239 RAs, 2,548 PUs while the number of registered voters is 1,646,350 of which 825,663 (50.1%) are male and 820,687 (49.9%) are female. The number of PVCs collected is 1,485,828 (90.2%) leaving 160,522 (9.8%) uncollected.

 

”All uncollected PVCs have been retrieved from our LGA offices and will be deposited at the branches of the Central Bank of Nigeria in Bayelsa and Kogi States for safekeeping pending the resumption of Continuous Voter Registration (CVR).”

 

Advising the media organisations that will report from the two states, Prof Yakubu said;”Let me also appeal to the media for accurate, objective and professional reporting of the elections. INEC does not believe in censorship. It is our collective responsibility to combat fake news. The best antidote to fake news is more openness and transparency.”

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS