Omoyele Sowore’s lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN) on Thursday said he would file an application to challenge the order by a Federal High Court in Abuja granting the Department of State Services permission to detain the publisher of SaharaReporters and convener of the #RevolutionNow protests, Omoyele Sowore, for 45 days.
Falana, who was unwilling to give many details, in an exclusive chat with Punch said Sowore had as of Wednesday envisaged the Thursday’s ruling and had instructed that it should be challenged.
According to him “I saw him yesterday (Wednesday) when he had already envisaged that the order for his detention would be granted. So he had already given us the instruction to challenge it.”
Meanwhile, many organizations including the European Union, Afenifere, Committee for the Defence of Human Rights, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, Free Nigeria Movement and senior lawyers including Mike Ozekhome (SAN), have faulted the order.
While SERAP said it would petition the United Nations Human Rights Council on the continued detention of Sowore, Afenifere and Ozekhome called for the unconditional release of the presidential candidate of the African Action Congress in the 2019 presidential poll. They described the order as unjust.